How much is science and how much is fiction?

All things which do not fit into other areas.

Moderators: Serenity, Laura

How much is science and how much is fiction?

Postby x5-456 » Tue 24. Jul 2007, 16:37

Out of boredom and curiousity today (and a complete lack of sleep) I've started reading about recombinant genetics . I like everyone else have heard media offshoots but I was curious about just how close we are to producing a transgenic human capable of amazing feats , eg. our x-series.

As it turns out its not that far off. Its interesting how this stuff works too, brings some light to the whole virus thng with max. One of the ways a virus works is it infects a healthy cell and imprints a portion of its genetics on the DNA of the now infected cell, within this genetic material is instructions to reproduce throughout the body and to keep cranking out copies untill the organism is overrun.. This is the easiest way to genetically engineer a human. Take a relitively harmless virus like the cold, modify the crap out of it to take out as much of the bad bits as you can and add in some enhanced musculature genes, maybe some einstein brain power, then implant it into the embryo before the second stage of meosis . The genetic material is then incorporated into the embryo before it even begins to grow and becomes a part fo the human. Fringe benefit as well with this method is that YUP SUPRISE it gets passed on to your offspring! This goes hand in hand with the human genome project which as we all know is old news. they're attempting to map the human genome in order to isolate
the specific genetics responsible for things like cancer and alzheimers, at the same time also learning what creates supirior musculature, agility, and neurological functioning.

This may be old news for some of you, we've all read the sci fi, we've all read the theories, but whose done it? Someone has, theyve successfully made transgenic rats. They implanted them with genes to increase muscle growth and ende dup with wsomething looking like a shwartezenegger rat. They have had massive success genetically engineering plants, lab mice and select other animals. While its said that human testing is strictly prohibitted due to moral considerations we all know thats already happened behind closed doors. There are all sorts of rights groups saying it would be playing god and its something we shouldn't monkey with, becuas theoretically they can create a human being from scratch. They just combine the desirable genetics from other sources (or people) into a stew, throw it into a test tube and watch it grow. Essentially if it exists in nature it can be added .

The other side of this is gene therapy can be done later in life. Implantation of supirior genetics to produce effects like regrowth of a limb, or the reversal of a degenerative disease. These additions unfortunately will not transmit into offspring as you would have to directly change the existing sex cells, but still possibilities are endless.

So really, how far off is DA. if the public knows this much, how much dont we know. On June 1 09 its very feasible that 10 year old transgenic humans are in existance..

Food for thought, now lets hear some comments
x5-456
Sector Cop

Re: How much is science and how much is fiction?

Postby darkjak » Tue 24. Jul 2007, 18:30

x5-456 wrote:The other side of this is gene therapy can be done later in life. Implantation of supirior genetics to produce effects like regrowth of a limb, or the reversal of a degenerative disease. These additions unfortunately will not transmit into offspring as you would have to directly change the existing sex cells, but still possibilities are endless.

I'm gonna purchase some of that shite!

I know most of what you've written, since I study science, and I even wrote an essay on the matter on biology class (genetically engineering humans), where I used DA as an example. I got an A or a B, dont remember.

I AM waiting for the possibility change my DNA. I have a low metabolusm :(
Plus that I want to kick some serious but when I join the homeguard.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for the good to do nothing.
darkjak
Manticore Squad Leader

Postby hedghehog » Tue 24. Jul 2007, 18:49

damn makes you think..........good article.Yap maybe DA isnt far from reallity,who knows anything is possible
"We all have time machines.The ones that take us back are called memories and the ones that take us forward are called dreams."

hedghehog
Transhuman

Postby x5-456 » Tue 24. Jul 2007, 18:58

It makes me wanna take a course in it... Thennnn i remember that the course s in genetics and gene splicing are full of people who have an iq double to mine and that i'd fail horribly... Soo im content on reading what information I get my hands on.

Its kinda funny though, they say they have with high success genetically spliced and altered plants, as well as lab animals, but that they wouldn't touch humans becuase of ethical concerns. I"m sure anyone with a half a brain knows thats b.s. , where theres a will theres a way. Guaranteed theres probably a lab somewhere in the states that doesn't exist where they're experimenting on people. Probably soldiers and mental patients i'd imagine. Yes ofcourse the government wants to cure disease, but lets be realistic if theres a way to make it into a weapon they'll do it and cover it up
x5-456
Sector Cop

Postby hedghehog » Tue 24. Jul 2007, 19:13

To hell with those high IQ people they got the brains but no imagination or heart.

"Its kinda funny though, they say they have with high success genetically spliced and altered plants, as well as lab animals, but that they wouldn't touch humans becuase of ethical concerns. I"m sure anyone with a half a brain knows thats b.s. , where theres a will theres a way."

Man if they were so concerned about ethics they wouldnt poison the planet or start the wars and do many of other none ethical things.They must see the profit then they will do something.Agree with you x5-456
"We all have time machines.The ones that take us back are called memories and the ones that take us forward are called dreams."

hedghehog
Transhuman

Postby x5-456 » Tue 24. Jul 2007, 19:41

Yeah no kidding, if the existence of nuclear arms wasn't proof enough of that one. My guess is that they're just tryign to keep it out of the limelight because they dont want the technology stolen or religious groups burning down their doors.

Lol I mean for crying out loud the University of Alberta found the cure for 99% of cancers, but no one will pay to develop it becuase they can't patent it
x5-456
Sector Cop

Postby x5-457 » Tue 24. Jul 2007, 21:40

I have to agree. I wouldn't be suprised either if there were already transgenic humans. Governments in general have been intrested in this kind of stuff for years. That whole nazi thing was a breeding program was it not? They tested on twins, mentally disabled people, always trying to find a way to make a super race.

I honestly wouldnt be suprised if they have x-series already that are 20+. It'll be intresting though to see what the future holds, when and if it will ever come to light.
x5-457
Jam Pony Messenger

Postby jondy09 » Wed 25. Jul 2007, 00:23

It would be awesome to have some transgenic abilities... I saw an article about transgenic goats who have a special protein in their milk... the title is "The First Drug from Transgenic Animals" It was from Scientific American in November 2005
NEW CHAPTER

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3763434/1/C ... he_Damned- AU 2009: After a failed escape attempt the remains of unit 12 are hauled off to Psy-ops each emerges as the 'perfect soldier'. It's about their struggle to regain their humanity after the horrors of Psy-ops...review! 3 chapters up!
jondy09
Psy-Ops

Postby darkjak » Thu 26. Jul 2007, 10:00

jondy09 wrote:It would be awesome to have some transgenic abilities... I saw an article about transgenic goats who have a special protein in their milk... the title is "The First Drug from Transgenic Animals" It was from Scientific American in November 2005

Was it James Cameron who adapted the title "transgenic" from science, or the other way arround?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for the good to do nothing.
darkjak
Manticore Squad Leader

Postby x5-456 » Thu 26. Jul 2007, 18:11

Jon Gordon received his Ph.D. from Yale University in 1978, and his M.D. from Yale in 1980. During his subsequent postdoctoral fellowship with Frank Ruddle at Yale, he developed the microinjection methods of inserting genes into intact animals. Later, he and Dr. Ruddle demonstrated germ line transmission of these gens, and coined the term "transgenic" to describe these animals. Dr. Gordon is G. Harold and Leila Y. Mathers Professor, Molecular Biology of Aging, and professor of obstetrics and gynecology at Mt. Sinai School of Medicine, New York.
x5-456
Sector Cop

Postby Saahm23 » Thu 26. Jul 2007, 21:38

Cool nice thxs for the information :)
Saahm23
Network Admin

Postby x5-456 » Thu 26. Jul 2007, 21:41

Lol what cna i say, i have too much free time at work
x5-456
Sector Cop

Postby jondy09 » Fri 27. Jul 2007, 00:28

lol, I can identify with that... it is a nice article :)
NEW CHAPTER

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3763434/1/C ... he_Damned- AU 2009: After a failed escape attempt the remains of unit 12 are hauled off to Psy-ops each emerges as the 'perfect soldier'. It's about their struggle to regain their humanity after the horrors of Psy-ops...review! 3 chapters up!
jondy09
Psy-Ops

Postby moonlitestar » Sun 5. Aug 2007, 06:03

Heh, I was 12 or 13 when Dark Angel was on, and it definitely piqued my interest in genetics. I was so certain I was going to go into biology and later genetics. Maybe be one of those scientists that would develop a transgenic, haha. Just not for Manticore...

I ended up doing plenty of research on genetics and still find it of much interest due to Dark Angel. But as the years passed, I found that science isn't for me (I'm now studying computer science and international affairs).

At that time, there was a lot I didn't pick up when I watched the show. I just went through a marathon viewing of both seasons at the beginning of this summer though and realized how much I had forgotten or missed out on. I personally feel a lot of DA makes...sense. More often than not, their theories/technological discoveries have some basis that could theoretically be possible in the near future. Well, maybe not the Familiar plot - that was tooo sci fi for me, but a lot of other things, I think, are rather interesting to play with.

I haven't done any recent research on genetics, but if all that info is available publically...what do you suppose would be available under the Top-Secret stamp governments grant covert research assignments for reasons of national security?

As the joke goes among my other DA fans, beware of the year 2009. Wouldn't want to be caught unprepared in the event of a pulse...

in the event that DA is indicative of anything, that is.
moonlitestar
Manticore Squad Leader

Postby jondy09 » Sun 5. Aug 2007, 18:30

If you think about it; it is possible... they already have transgenic animals so making transgenic humans isn't a stretch... in fact I bet the only reason there aren't any (if there really isn't secret government made transgenics) is not because of the inability to make them but because of ethics

About the pulse, electro magnetis pulses do exist and they could be used as weapons but it wouldn't be as devastating as in DA because they have pulse-resistant stuff now and we have paper back ups of bank statements etc
NEW CHAPTER

jondy09
Psy-Ops

Next

Return to General Things