Mirrors Edge

All things which do not fit into other areas.

Moderators: Serenity, Laura

Mirrors Edge

Postby darkjak » Fri 5. Dec 2008, 20:51

Just lately a game was released by Swedish developer DICE (my teacher used to work there :prost: )

Trailer

If you look at the trailer, you'll se a lot of similarities to Dark Angel. Firstly, you play as a female in beige baggy pants and a tight black top:
ImageImage

Just like Max, Fate dislikes using guns (allthough she uses them if the situation is really difficult). They both like to perform acrobatics high up in the air, and they both are really good at hand to hand combat. Also both take place in a future where the government controls the media.

The similarities are so big that I'm thinking about waiting for the PC release of the game to make a Dark Angel modification of the game (with the 3D model of the character being made even more similar to Max and making the world look more destroyed, and a new story).

What do you think of this game? I might get it for the Xbox 360.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for the good to do nothing.
darkjak
Manticore Squad Leader

Postby hedghehog » Sun 7. Dec 2008, 21:49

it looks wonderful,and yeah she is an urban warior just like max but her city is sunny unlike Seattle :p
"We all have time machines.The ones that take us back are called memories and the ones that take us forward are called dreams."

hedghehog
Transhuman

Postby gtf_dean_fenech » Mon 8. Dec 2008, 00:08

The similarities are so big that I'm thinking about waiting for the PC release of the game to make a Dark Angel modification of the game (with the 3D model of the character being made even more similar to Max and making the world look more destroyed, and a new story).

cool idea

From the trailer It looks very cool. I can also see the similarities
gtf_dean_fenech
Honorary Member

Postby rantanplan » Sun 14. Dec 2008, 20:25

mm yes, there seeems to have similarities.
But a lot of show/games can seems a little like that :).

But about change 3D model for make a "DA game", how can you do that ?
you don't need to the source code of the game, for that ? Cause i think developers don't want you can change their work like that, no? (or maybe you know solutions for change that even they are not ok ? with a sort of disassembler, maybe ? ).

i'm impatient to play to DA... .

bye!
rantanplan
X2

Postby gtf_dean_fenech » Sun 14. Dec 2008, 21:28

we use to do that i gta vice city... nearly completely changing the whole game
gtf_dean_fenech
Honorary Member

Postby darkjak » Sun 21. Dec 2008, 21:57

rantanplan wrote:mm yes, there seeems to have similarities.
But a lot of show/games can seems a little like that :).

But about change 3D model for make a "DA game", how can you do that ?
you don't need to the source code of the game, for that ? Cause i think developers don't want you can change their work like that, no? (or maybe you know solutions for change that even they are not ok ? with a sort of disassembler, maybe ? ).

i'm impatient to play to DA... .

bye!

Certain games are adapted so that people can make custom content. For some games, like Halflife and Battlefield, it's a big selling point. A lot of people bought Halflife just to play fan made mods, like Counter Strike and Day of Defeat.
It all depends on whether the developers like the idea or not. Mirrors Edge hasn't been released for the PC yet, so I have no clue what support the game might have for mods.
darkjak
Manticore Squad Leader

Postby gtf_dean_fenech » Sun 21. Dec 2008, 23:01

A lot of people bought Halflife just to play fan made mods

vice city is like that too.
gtf_dean_fenech
Honorary Member

Postby rantanplan » Sun 28. Dec 2008, 15:55

i didn't know even counter strike was made by fans!! lol.

so we could adapt the game really like we want (like DA)... . very good. i can't wait for that! (and it's could be a good advertisment, if the original game become famous, and if we could make heard abour our adaptation... .

bye!
rantanplan
X2

Postby glows » Mon 2. Mar 2009, 08:22

The similarities are uncanny and I thought the same when I kept seeing ads on the television for it. I have to say, the first person view is really annoying to me. I guess I prefer third person much like the actually DA game. With the technology they have for games today, they could make an even stronger sequel to the original game. However, it's unlikely...
glows
Sector Cop

Postby gtf_dean_fenech » Mon 2. Mar 2009, 14:37

of what i've seen of the first person view, it is offputting and confusing at first because i think these days were use to 3rd person, but the old games like Doom and House of the dead were all 1st person. I think it just need getting use to.
gtf_dean_fenech
Honorary Member

Postby darkjak » Tue 3. Mar 2009, 19:52

gtf_dean_fenech wrote:of what i've seen of the first person view, it is offputting and confusing at first because i think these days were use to 3rd person, but the old games like Doom and House of the dead were all 1st person. I think it just need getting use to.

Well, when compared to the 90's, there are fewer third person shooters. There's Hitman (although you can swap to first person if you want), Gears of War and Grand Theft Auto.

The idea with fighting and acrobatics in first person is unusual, but I've heard a lot of positive comments about controls and such.
darkjak
Manticore Squad Leader

Return to General Things