The great debate: season one VS. season two.

Here you can talk about the Dark Angel Episodes

Moderators: Serenity, Laura

Postby Max Guevara\X5 452 » Sun 20. Jan 2008, 00:48

yeah i know,i thought of puting it down anyway
Max Guevara\X5 452
Manticore Soldier

Postby bootzilla » Tue 24. Jun 2008, 06:16

Ok, so the GF and I just got done watching Season 2 for the first time ever - finished up the finale tonight (I had seen about half of season one...when it originally came out, but had never seen a single episode of season two before I got the DVD's).

Initial thoughts on season 2:

- Far less continuity to the plot, it seemed like things were tacked on at the last minute sometimes.

- Along the same lines, it wasn't just that there was more of a Sci-fi element, it was that they got to it far too quickly...no acclimation or anything - just bingo - wild, other-worldly transgenics - get used to 'em! It had no choice but to dominate the season, so we didn't get those great side-stories like we did in season 1 that developed the characters while giving us a break from Lydecker chasing everyone.

- I was all set for a three-sided fight - with Madame X (and therefore the breeding wierdos) losing control of Manticore, I figured that Lydecker would be back in the picture, and you'd end up with the X5's, Cult crazies, and Manticore all fighting one another, with the inevitable intrigue and tenuous alliances that would result. None of that materialized.

- The virus thing went on tooooo long. The whole season? Really? I understand that they wanted to keep the Max-Logan tension, but there could have been other ways to do it - it was kind of the easy way out. They got off to a great start with the scientist that ran away - but then we didn't get too much more.

There were some bright spots:

- Alec was a fabulous addition. We lost most of that great dialogue between Logan and Max, but got some of it back with Alec.

- Ames White is no Lydecker, but by mid-season, he was actually more relentless - because of that, they did a really good job in Season 2 of putting Max into more impossibly difficult situations, so I think that there was more suspense (but at the expense of the storyline).

- For better or worse - they forced us in a completely different direction that was out of our comfort zone, and captured that kind of "out of control" feeling that someone in that situation would have really had. Where season 1 gave you time to digest everything, season 2 pushed you along at a sometimes frenetic pace, just as the characters were pushed along into continuously escalating situations.

That being said - Season 1 was far superior. Everything fit together perfectly, and we were far more focused on the main characters than the situation itself - and it is far more satisfying to relate to people than to the environment.

My feeling was that I wasn't done with the X5's, with Lydecker, the crew at Jam Pony, or with the "Moonlighting-like" dynamic between Max and Logan...but all of those things were gone in season 2.

There was a good bit of irony in the fact that in Season 1, Logan is obsessed with saving the world and Max is more concerned with her own life.....then in Season 2, Max ends up having to save the world, while Logan is more concerned with his personal life (his relationship with Max, basically) - so the role-reversal is interesting, but it all happened so quickly, that it never really develops, it just happens.

Favorite episode had to be Berrisford Agenda - it was like we were back in season one again.
bootzilla
Jam Pony Messenger

Postby gtf_dean_fenech » Tue 24. Jun 2008, 13:38

well thats basicaaly what everybody has said throughout these 5 pages. There is another topic where we discussed the dowfalls of particular episodes in season 2, you should check that one out too.

There was a good bit of irony in the fact that in Season 1, Logan is obsessed with saving the world and Max is more concerned with her own life.....then in Season 2, Max ends up having to save the world, while Logan is more concerned with his personal life (his relationship with Max, basically) - so the role-reversal is interesting, but it all happened so quickly, that it never really develops, it just happens.

I love this analysis, i never really saw it that way but now that you mention it you're totaly right.

my favourit episodes from season 2 would have to be the first and the last one.
gtf_dean_fenech
Honorary Member

Postby Chrisisall » Tue 24. Jun 2008, 17:01

bootzilla wrote:That being said - Season 1 was far superior. Everything fit together perfectly, and we were far more focused on the main characters than the situation itself - and it is far more satisfying to relate to people than to the environment.

Yeah. That's why my last go-round with both seasons ended up with season two consisting of the eps with Lydecker, then:
Some Assembly Required
Berrisford Agenda
Harbor Lights
She Ain't Heavy
Freak Nation

I left the rest of 'em totally out. It really felt more satisfying that way- somewhat more consistent with the first season, IMO.

:nation: isall
They used to say one nuclear bomb can ruin your whole day...
Chrisisall
Manticore Soldier

Postby gtf_dean_fenech » Wed 25. Jun 2008, 00:30

holy s"*t look who's back!! Chrisisall

p.s. yeah, this post has just made me a Volunteer!!!
gtf_dean_fenech
Honorary Member

Postby Chrisisall » Wed 25. Jun 2008, 14:11

Hey everyone, Joss Whedon has a new series coming out called Dollhouse, it seems to have borrowed a couple of themes from DA (secret agency controlling operatives, main character looking for her place in the world), so it might be interesting to fans here. I'm definitely checking it out.

The never really gone Chrisisall
Chrisisall
Manticore Soldier

Postby hedghehog » Wed 25. Jun 2008, 19:53

i guess i have to look it up then.You make it sound like a cool series thx
"We all have time machines.The ones that take us back are called memories and the ones that take us forward are called dreams."

hedghehog
Transhuman

Postby Eyildr » Thu 26. Jun 2008, 14:09

I love both seasons, even though I agree that they both are quite different.

I find season 1 a lot darker than the 2nd which contains more humour/satire, whilst season 1 is different, darker and mysterious as others said. I've never quite liked the monsters in season 2 and that's why season 1 appears to me more realistic while season 2 has an action movie feel to it.
Eyildr
Jam Pony Messenger

Postby rantanplan » Sat 5. Jul 2008, 02:29

right about the inverson in max-logan's comportment. never thik to that before.

about max's hair cut... lol i think it's a really small detail.... . :).

about lidecker, it's a question about a movie should answer... .

for the topic, i've already gave my position, so... . :).

bye!
rantanplan
X2

Postby gtf_dean_fenech » Sat 5. Jul 2008, 13:36

about max's hair cut... lol i think it's a really small detail.... . :).

still, everone makes a big deal out of it
gtf_dean_fenech
Honorary Member

Postby rantanplan » Sat 5. Jul 2008, 19:43

really ? lol.

i think it's not something which change the interest given to the serie... .
But it's my personal opinion... .

bye!
rantanplan
X2

Postby gtf_dean_fenech » Sun 6. Jul 2008, 00:16

hmmmm, everyones hair is horrible in season 2
gtf_dean_fenech
Honorary Member

Postby rantanplan » Sun 6. Jul 2008, 03:40

not agree about blink. No problem with his hait cut :D.

bye!
rantanplan
X2

Postby Chrisisall » Mon 14. Jul 2008, 20:36

gtf_dean_fenech wrote:hmmmm, everyones hair is horrible in season 2
Joshua's hair is better in season 2, IMO.
:laugh:

Max's hair starts out ratty in season two, but by Harbor Lights it's cool again.
Same with Logan.

Hairy Chrisisall
Chrisisall
Manticore Soldier

Postby gtf_dean_fenech » Mon 14. Jul 2008, 21:54

yeah, logan's gets better near the end
gtf_dean_fenech
Honorary Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Episodes