Maximum Ride vs Dark Angel

All things which do not fit into other areas.

Moderators: Serenity, Laura

Maximum Ride vs Dark Angel

Postby gtf_dean_fenech » Sun 10. May 2009, 11:54

I was browsing around and I found this book series called Maximum Ride, science fiction/fantasy series written by the award-winning American author, James Patterson, starting from April 19, 2005 and continuing to the present. There are currently five titles in the Maximum Ride series, the latest one was released on March 16, 2009.

The over-all plot follows six rebels on the run from a labratory they call the "School". The oldest is Maximum Ride(Max) who is 14 and the leader. The 6 children genetically cross-bred with avian DNA, complete with wings, take flight cross-country to discover their origins. Together,they make up a flock and they must run from the second and only other school experiment to make it past infancy besides themselves: Erasers. They are part human and part wolf and can change at will into either form. The most famous Eraser, Ari is the Flocks sworn enemy and head of the project.

The books have also been transl;ated into a Manga and in January 2007, it was announced that a film would be created based on the Maximum Ride series. The movie is scheduled for a 2010 release date.

I found many dark angel similarities in these books:
"genetic experiments on teenagers? Check. Main girl named Max? Check. On the run from the scientist that created them? Check. Now, I used to love Dark Angel for the first season, then the second season got a little strange as they tried to explain too much. Actually, by the third Maximum Ride book, I was beginning to feel like they were trying to add too many layers as well. Anyways, I digress; Dark Angel entertained me, and I highly recommend it as a mindless distraction. The whole first season is basically, “Look, Max is sexy and kick ass! Look, Logan is sexy and smart!” and some days, you just need that in your life."
http://yafantasy.com/maximum-ride/
Has anyone read it?
gtf_dean_fenech
Honorary Member

Postby Saahm23 » Mon 11. May 2009, 00:33

Wow :shock: these are alooott of parallels with Dark Angel. Iam a bit shocked now ^^
Remember that Cameron used the name Max in combination of "Maximum" ;) as the titel of these book ^^
i'll do some research about this all tomorrow and comment more later when i know more. Anyways thxs for it Dean.
Saahm23
Network Admin

Postby gtf_dean_fenech » Mon 11. May 2009, 13:53

you're welcome. I think the author watch DA and used some parts
gtf_dean_fenech
Honorary Member

Postby hedghehog » Tue 19. May 2009, 19:03

yeah heard about it.Sounds like a copy of DA but still its cool.Whatever reminds me of DA is cool.
"We all have time machines.The ones that take us back are called memories and the ones that take us forward are called dreams."

hedghehog
Transhuman

Postby Shwuigy » Tue 19. May 2009, 22:33

if they're making maximum ride into a movie, why not dark angel? grrr
Shwuigy
Sector Cop

Postby gtf_dean_fenech » Wed 20. May 2009, 16:52

i don't know, the idea has puzzled me too
gtf_dean_fenech
Honorary Member

Postby trbochrgd » Fri 22. May 2009, 04:12

As a matter of fact, James Patterson released his first in the Max series in 1998. It's the adult version titled "When the Wind Blows". Maximum and 5 companions escape the School.

James Cameron seems to have taken the idea from Patterson, and not the other way around. I read the Patterson series' (both, but started with "When the Wind Blows", which is nearly a prequel to the "Maximum Ride" series) and found out about "Dark Angel" through a friend who remembered the series when I was describing "When the Wind Blows" to her.
trbochrgd
Jam Pony Messenger

Postby gtf_dean_fenech » Fri 22. May 2009, 13:36

wow, ok, thats an eye opener, didn't know that. could be. Cameron was accused of getting inspired by a number of other shows and stuff. But i remember that i also was doing a comic about a teenage boy that was genetically engeniered to be a soldier by the government then escaped and i hadn't watched or heard of DA, so may be great minds think alike.
gtf_dean_fenech
Honorary Member

Postby Allison Lightning » Fri 22. May 2009, 14:36

Seriously same idea area but they aren't that alike the original novels don't feel anything like Dark Angel... not only that but they are very over written and it just feels like they are missing a heart.

Max/ red lasers ( which has been used to death)- every idea starts as a new take on a cliche storyline... it's where it's taken.
They are two very different stories.

And the new one- could be considered DA styled among others (a revamp of Max's character in the least) and Patterson had something going I just think he started to lose it lately.
" When you think you see me I'm not there because you left me behind"

An alternate ending for AJBAC, all because of one thing, Logan is captured by Manticore while Max got away. Inside of Manticore, struggling to hold onto his sanity, his identity, Logan has nowhere to hide. Will he survive to escape, or will Lydecker destroy him first?

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4530040/1/Damaged
Allison Lightning
Manticore Soldier

Return to General Things